Insurance is a revolutionary idea that changed the lives of so many people. Mastering risk may seem challenging, but reducing the likelihood of unfavorable events is a skill, and insurance embodies this art form. People buy insurance for various reasons, primarily to protect themselves or their assets from risks and financial losses. However, in some cases, companies reject insurance claims that lead to financial and mental hardship. Let us understand why insurance claims get rejected before we find simple ways to cope with the difficulties that arise when an insurance claim is rejected.
Reasons for Claim Rejection
Let us explore the common reasons for claim delays:
- Inaccurate Information: one of the primary reasons for claim delays needs to be completed or accurate information provided during the claims submission. More details, documents, or errors in the claim form must be required to lead to back-and-forth communication between the policyholder and the insurance company, prolonging the settlement process.
- Lack of Documentation: Supporting documentation is essential for claim processing. Whether it’s medical records, photographs, or other relevant evidence, insufficient or missing documentation can lead to delays.
- Error in Claim Form: Filling out the claim form incorrectly or providing inaccurate information can cause delays in claim processing. Mistakes such as misspelled names, incorrect policy numbers, or missing details can lead to confusion and require additional time for verification and correction. Therefore, it is crucial to carefully review the claim form before submission to ensure all information is accurate and complete.
- Out-of-Network Hospital: Insurance company networks can change yearly, and patients may need to realize this. In this case, the patient’s cashless claim request will be denied.
How to Appeal Against a Rejected Claim
Now that we have understood some ways that can lead to claim rejection let us look at the steps to take if your insurance claim is rejected.
- Contact the Insurance Company: The first step is to contact the insurance company via phone, email, or by visiting the branch. Then, you can request the senior management to look into your situation to determine if anything can be done.
- Call for grievance redressal via IRDAI: The Policyholder’s Protection & Grievance Redressal Department of the Insurance Regulatory and Development Authority of India includes a Grievance Redressal Cell dedicated to addressing complaints and grievances raised by policyholders. This specialized cell liaises with the relevant insurance companies to resolve the issues and provide redressal.
- Contact Insurance Ombudsman: The Office of the Insurance Ombudsman, established under the Insurance Ombudsman Rules, 2017, serves as an alternative platform for grievance redressal. Its primary objective is to provide a quick, cost-effective resolution for policyholders who complain against insurance companies, intermediaries, or insurance brokers.
When all options seem exhausted and you find yourself in a challenging situation with your insurance claim, Insurance Samadhan is here to assist you. Our dedicated team of experts is ready to help if they determine that your case meets our criteria for assistance.
Click here to register your complaint with Insurance Samadhan
You can also
Visit our website: insurancesamadhan.com
Call us on +91 9513631312
Mail us at firstname.lastname@example.org