Not many are aware of the fact that the Insurance Regulatory and Development Authority of India (IRDAI) has a mechanism that enables policyholders to register their insurance complaints against the companies concerned. The following are steps involved if you want to have your insurance claim grievance redressed-
1. Complain to the insurance company: at a fundamental level, you can approach the Grievance Redressal Officer (GRO) of the insurance company by filling a written complaint. The GRO is expected to resolve the complaint within a reasonable period of time. You can take the matter to the IRDAI, in case no satisfactory reply comes from the GRO within 15 working days.
2. Escalate to IRDAI: To escalate the complaint to IRDAI, you can get in touch with IRDAI’s Grievance Redressal Cell on the toll-free number 155255. You can also send an email to email@example.com with any required documentary proof attached. Besides, you can mail a written complaint to the IRDAI Grievance Redressal Cell, Gachibowli, Hyderabad- 500032. Apart from the insurance claim grievance cell and other abovementioned steps, you can also opt to register a complaint on IRDAI’s online portal, IGMS.
3. Processing: complaints registered with IRDAI through any of the above modes are then forwarded to the insurance complaint. The end purpose is to issue a suitable response to the policyholder within the stipulated time.
4. Further escalation: You can further escalate the complaint to the Insurance ombudsman if it falls within his purview. This will come handy if you are not satisfied with the resolution offered by the insurance company, when it comes to insurance claim settlements services.
Points to note:
1. Do keep in mind that getting a written acknowledgement or reference number pertaining to the registered complaint is important. It can be used for further correspondence with regard to insurance fraud settlement solutions.
2. If you register a complaint through the IGMS, its status can be easily tracked till it is resolved.